These are our ministries that extend beyond our own walls to those in the larger world who are in need. There are many ways to participate, whether through hands-on activities, the donation of food and goods, or through your pledge to the Church.
South Shore Community Dinner
Each month St. Luke’s hosts a dinner free to anyone who would enjoy a homemade meal and good company. We’ve served over 2000 meals to members of our community while hosting a wide variety of musical entertainment.
St. Luke’s proudly supports this wonderful global organization. We believe firmly in the adage it is better to teach a soul to fish.
Appalachian Service Project
For the past 6 years, St. Luke’s has sponsored a dedicated group of teens and their adult volunteer team to visit and work in one of the poorest areas of the country, Breathitt, Kentucky. Our children have helped to repair housing, schools, and churches. This year, they are reconstructing a home for a coal miner who lost his legs in a mining accident.
Long Island Shelter
It is a yearly goal for our youth to raise money and prepare and serve meals for hungry south shore residents at Long Island Shelter in Boston. Our teens have prepared and served more than 600 meals annually.
St. Paul’s Kitchen
In addition to our commitment to local shelters and food pantries, we serve lunch at this soup kitchen in Brockton, Massachusetts. Our children are joined by members of the parish to prepare and serve lunch one Saturday per month.
Scituate Animal Shelter
The youngest children of St. Luke’s participate in several fund raisers – including bake sales and raffles – to help support our furry and fluffy friends in need.
We support our troops with letters of thanks and encouragement, care packages, and direct supplies. Each year we visit many veteran’s groups and support a local Veteran’s Day celebration, offering small gifts and a salute to their service. We have collected shoes, soccer balls, and new school supplies for soldiers to distribute in Iraq, to help win hearts with peace.
St. Luke’s first and second grade students donated their allowance and did extra chores for almost one year in order to buy clean socks and underwear for children at this local homeless shelter.
Haitian Relief Efforts
In addition to Parish contributions that included medical supplies, St. Luke’s youth hand made quilts for Haitian children and collected summer clothing, shoes, new school supplies, games, and musical instruments for the displaced children of Haiti.
Additional programs we sponsor:
- Boston’s B-Safe Summer Program: A summer program serving more than 430 inner-city children.
- Hamilton Adult Day Care: Based in Scituate, this service provides support to some of our community’s most vulnerable.
- Habitat for Humanity: A nonprofit, Christian housing organization building affordable housing in partnership with people in need.
- Carolina Hill: Located in Marshfield, this transitional shelter serves homeless women and their children. St. Luke’s also provides donations of food and volunteer hours to other shelters.
- Community Food Pantries: Scituate, Norwell, Marshfield, Cohasset
- Arts: St. Luke’s hosts musical performances, story-telling events, and lectures throughout the year.
- World Vision Sponsorship: St. Luke’s sponsors and communicates with a child from an economically oppressed nation.
Historically, St. Luke’s has supported recovery efforts from Hurricane Katrina, the Gulf Coast recovery effort, and earthquake devastation in China.